Thursday, April 22, 2021

Ten Mother's Day Gifts for Mums who say "Don't get me anything"

Close up of pink rose flower heads with small and large blooms

Mother's Day is just around the corner and many of us want to give a gift of appreciation for everything our Mum does for us
. Birthday, Christmas or Mother's Day my mum always says to me "You don't need to get me anything", but invariably I want to. So what do you get when your mum says "Don't get me anything"?

I know there are many ways to show your mum every day how much you love and appreciate her without buying a gift. A simple thank you goes a long way. That considered, I always love to surprise and spoil my mum so here are some ideas which have always been appreciated. Some of them are free, most can be inexpensive and many are hand crafted, which always adds an extra element of specialness (is that a word?). It also makes many of these gift ideas great for kids to give to mum or grandma!

1. A meaningful photograph

This is one of my mum's most requested gifts - "I'd love some more photos of my girls". Here's one we took when visiting her a couple of years ago, which we framed and gifted to my mum. Now it has pride of place in her home. 

A small blonde girl in a lilac and white patterned dress peeps through a hole in a whitewashed wall and sees the sea and rocks beyond


2. Flowers

I always love to receive flowers and I know many other mums do to. They don't have to be expensive bouquets. Why not pick a posy from your garden if you're lucky enough to have one?


A woman wearing a dark blue top holding a bunch of daisies and other wildflowers in her arms outstretched towards the viewer

3. Craft or Hobby Kit

If your mum likes to make things then a craft kit could be a perfect gift, perhaps one that you could both make together would go down well. If Mum's not crafty, but you are, why not make up the kit and gift the finished article? I love making the cards from Stampin' Up! kits like the Hello Dear Friend kit and its a great activity to do with my daughter.

Four different floral card designs layed out on a white background next to the stamp set from the Hello Dear Friend card kit that they come from. The box containing the kit items is just showing in the corner of the picture


4. Children's or grandchildren's artwork

Similar to the photograph idea above, framing a special piece of artwork that a child or grandchild has made is a lovely and unique gift idea. Why not buy a blank canvas and let the kids get creative with some paint? Or you could use large pictures and drawings as wrapping paper for other gifts.

5. Home baked cookies / cakes

If your mum likes sweet treats like cookies or cakes, why not bake some and package them up in a pretty box? I made this box with some coloured card, patterned paper, rubber stamps and a few embellishments. 

Square giftbox with blue and white swirly pattern and a gift tag saying "Treats made with love", decorated with small punched flowers and gems. The box is sitting next to a small turquoise plate with a chocolate chip cookie on it.


6. Book

A book by her favourite author or a cookbook by her favourite chef is bound to be a welcome addition to her bookshelf or coffee table and is a reminder to Mum that she needs to take some time to relax and unwind. 

7. Chocolates

As with cakes or cookies, chocolates can be made to look extra special by making your own giftbox or decorating the one that they come in. This giftbox uses a Mini Paper Pumpkin box from Stampin' Up! which is all pre-cut and scored and just needs to be folded up and filled with goodies! I simply wrapped around some patterned paper from the True Love Designer Series Paper and added some coloured cardstock, a stamped image and some rhinestones to finish it off. 

Giftbox wrapped in white paper with black spots, decorated with strips of yellow card and more patterned paper with black and white flowers. A handstamped and coloured image of a posy of daisies and roses embellishes the box along with some rhinestones

8. Magazine subscription


A coffee cup sits on top of an open magazine, next to a small pink pot plant in a blue and white pot. The magazine is folded open showing a picture of a light filled room.

Arriving in her letterbox each month a subscription to a favourite magazine is a gift that keeps giving throughout the year. Every time it arrives Mum will be reminded of you!

9. Scarf

Scarves can be great gifts for all seasons. In Winter woolly scarves will keep Mum cosy, in Spring and Autumn lightweight patterned scarves keep the chill off and add a spot of colour to an outfit, and in Summer large scarves can be used as a beach cover up or sarong. Personally I don't think you can have too many of these versatile fashion accessories, and if you're handy with the knitting needles, crochet hook or sewing machine, you can probably make one yourself!

10. Vouchers

Making your own gift vouchers can be a sweet and fun gift for Mum. Kids love to get involved in thinking up gifts and designing the vouchers. How about vouchers for "A night off cooking", "A picnic in the park", "A hug and a kiss from me". They can be for anything you like and can be as individual as your mum is. 


I hope these ideas have given you a starting point and got you thinking about what you could do to show Mum you care this Mother's Day. I bet your Mum would love any one of them, even if she's said "Don't get me anything". If you're a Mum too I hope you have a lovely day and receive something special.


Shop for Stampin' Up! products with me in Australia

You can buy Stampin' Up! products such as those shown in some of the ideas above in my online shop. Click here to shop now.

Subscribe to my newsletter

If you'd like me to keep you up to date with the latest Stampin' Up! news and special offers, as well as more ideas and inspiration then subscribe to my newsletter here


No comments:

Post a Comment